Today I had a bag of baby carrots that needed to be used ASAP. I baked the Sugar Free Carrot Cake recipe from Sugar Free Recipes. The cake came out amazingly moist, fluffy and flavorful, with just the right amount of sweetness. Here are my notes:
- Replaced the white flour with Hodgson Mill whole wheat flour
- Added cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. I didn't have allspice
- Mixed in toasted coconut. I was out of walnuts but still wanted a nice nutty flavor
- Left off the cream cheese-apricot mix. It just didn't sound appetizing. That's not cake frosting, no matter how you spin it. And this is coming from someone who loves apricots mixed in creamy desserts.
- Grated carrots will blend into your batter and give you carrot cake. Shredded carrots will give you a great spice cake with carrot strips mixed in.
*ETA: Yes, I know the honey and shredded coconut have sugar in them.