I purchased two packages of Cracker Jack'd Hearty Mix on the same shopping trip as the Cracker Jack'd Power Bites from the other post. The flavors are Peanut Butter and Chocolate & Cheddar BBQ. It's important to note the Hearty Mix is not the Cracker Jack snack with high levels of caffeine; it's the Cracker Jack'd Power Bites which have the caffeine of one cup of coffee.
This is what the Peanut Butter And Chocolate Hearty Mix and the Cheddar BBQ Hearty Mix have in common:
- A black and beige pouch with a more mature / grown up feel. Cracker Jack's famous mascots Sailor Jack and his dog Bingo are replaced with a smarmy, older Sailor Jack who resembles either Don Rickles or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. New Bingo is channeling the mean dogs from the movie UP.
- A tall 3 oz pouch. Not resealable. Easily tips over.
- Not listed on Frito Lay's website right now
-"Snacks With Impact."
- "Fills you up."
Cracker Jack'd Hearty Mix: Peanut Butter & Chocolate- " Artificially flavored snack mix."
- "Savory peanut butter and chocolate flavored and coated oat clusters, mixed with honey roasted and salted peanuts."
- Smells like peanut butter fudge and honey roasted peanuts
- Peanut butter coated oats = Tastes like peanut butter fudge. Delicious! The oats drag down the clusters, though. Peanut butter + oats = "Am I eating a peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread ?"
- Chocolate covered oats = Chocolate was smooth and creamy. Oats were a better match with the chocolate than with the peanut butter.
- Not enough of the peanut butter or chocolate clusters.
- Both types of oat clusters were too small. Many clusters had broken into Dippin' Dots sized pieces in transit (I'm guessing.)
- Plenty of peanuts
Cracker Jack'd Hearty Mix: Cheddar BBQ- "Tangy cheddar and bbq flavored oat clusters, mixed with salted peanuts and smoked almonds."
- "Flavored snack mix."
- Flavored with brown sugar, tomato powder, onion powder, cheddar cheese, natural smoke flavor, molasses, romano cheese, garlic powder, rosemary
- Smells like honey roasted peanuts and bbq potato chips
- Smoked almonds = Decent amount. Bbq seasoning attached to some of the almonds.
- Good amount of peanuts. Bbq seasoning properly coated the peanuts.
- Tangy cheddar and bbq flavored oat clusers = Has the smoky, mouthwatering taste of Lay's bbq potato chips. But the orange color and chunky shape are off-putting; it resembles crushed up cat chow. The crushed oats are too small and messy.
- Bbq flavoring and oats = Total mismatch of flavors and textures. I like oats with my cereal and desserts, not with potato chip flavoring.
I wasn't terribly thrilled or disappointed by Cracker Jack'd Peanut Butter and Chocolate or Cracker Jack'd Cheddar BBQ. They're both just missing a certain je ne sais quoi at the moment. There's obviously room for improvement, though.