Friday, August 10, 2007

Casbah Falafel Mix

I was shopping at Carr's / Safeway the other day. I happened to look at the bottom shelf in the rice aisle and noticed all these interesting brands I'd never heard of before [including the previously mentioned Lunbgerg risotto]. I decided to buy a box of Casbah Falafel Mix on the spot.My roommates were to be my guineas pigs that night *waves to the guys*.

The instructions called for mixing in 1 cup of water and forming patties. An initial taste of the batter made me realize it was too grainy tasting to please my meat and potato loving men. I added whole milk ricotta, Gorgonzola cream sauce, black beans, chunky salsa, and fresh chopped garlic, onions and tomatoes to the batter. I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil for frying.

I should add that one of my roommates is a mischievous Bulgarian. I had turned my back on the pan for one second. The next thing I knew he was at the stove with a bottle in hand [ "Bwa ha ha, this needs pehhhhhhper ! Lots of hot spicy red pehhhhhhhper ! *Count Von Count laugh* That's how we like it in Bulgaria !"] The red pepper flakes were the perfect addition to the falafel. The only thing missing was some cucumber yogurt sauce. I wish I had thought to make a batch of it.

Overall, the falafel was a big hit at my apartment. I definitely plan to buy Casbah Falafel Mix again.

**I know at least one of you must be singing "Rock the Casbah !" after reading this post.

No comments: