Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Nanny Fran's Meatballs

I came across this recipe in my 125th Anniversary Edition of the Pennsylvania State Grange cookbook. So I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs for lunch. The Parmesan gives the meatballs a delicious taste. Side note: Do not use grated cheese for this recipe. It does not hold up well [and you'll miss out on good flavor !] Also, I made the first batch with Great Value Italian seasoned bread crumbs. That was a mistake. I found the GV bread crumbs lackluster in flavor [read: sawdust in a can] and less durable in the cooking process than other brands. The second batch turned out much better when I used Progresso's Italian bread crumbs.

Yield: 30 Servings
Pan size: Electric Fry Pan

2 lbs hamburger
1 lb ground pork [note: I just used ground turkey instead of those 2 meats]
6 eggs [I reduced it to 2 eggs]
1 clove garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon of parsley
1 Tbsp oregano
2 oz Romano grated cheese [I used shredded Parmesan]
1 cup bread crumbs
1 [48 oz] jar spaghetti sauce

Mix all ingredients together except spaghetti sauce. Make into meatballs and brown. Cover meatballs with sauce and simmer for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Credit: Alice E. Potter, Shermanata #1796

No comments: