I found this recipe in Mr. Food's cookbook Quick and Easy Diabetic Cooking. I added sliced almonds to the batter, left out the cherries and added key lime powder to the powdered sugar. This recipe was a big hit with my family!
Nicole's Cherry Bonbons
Air Date: 6/3/2008
3 tablespoons butter, softened
5 tablespoons corn oil stick margarine, softened
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fat-free (skim) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
24 maraschino cherries, drained with 2 teaspoons liquid reserved
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, beat the butter, margarine, and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until creamy. Stir in the flour, milk, vanilla, and salt; mix well.
2. Shape into 24 balls. Press each ball around a cherry and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until light golden. Cool on a wire rack.
3. Place 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar in a shallow dish and roll the bonbons until lightly coated.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and the 2 teaspoons reserved cherry liquid; mix well. Place in a resealable plastic storage bag. Cut a small corner off the bag and drizzle the glaze over the bonbons.
5. Allow the bonbons to cool until the glaze is firm, then serve, or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.