Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Quaker Simple Harvest: Cinnamon Brown Sugar

As you've read in my previous review, I was on the fence about Quaker's Simple Harvest bars. I decided to give Simple Harvest a second chance. I tried the Cinnamon Brown Sugar, With Apple and Cranberries variety.

Like the Honey Roasted Nut version, this bar too says "All Natural: Multigrain Chewy Granola Bar, *Oat, Wheat, Barley." But then I looked at the ingredient list. There were 10 grams of sugar in a serving. That's three more than the Honey bar. You must be wondering what caused such a difference. Look at what's in the Cinnamon Brown Sugar bars: "Whole grain rolled oats, brown rice sugar, crisp rice, sugar, apples, molasses, honey, sunflower oil, barley, apple juice concentrate, whole grain rolled wheat, soybean oil, cranberries....brown sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon."

Ingredients aside, I found myself unimpressed yet again. The bar had a funky, artificial apple smell. There were plenty of dehydrated apple pieces in each bite. The apples were soggy and unpleasant, almost gooey, when mixed with the other ingredients : P The apple flavor overpowered the entire bar.I neither tasted nor smelled any cinnamon or brown sugar. The size and amount of cranberries was paltry. This bar brought to mind a poorly made oatmeal cookie.

Another thumbs down for Quaker Simple Harvest: Cinnamon Brown Sugar bars.

No comments: