Monday, May 15, 2017

Sphere: Sweaters For Couples

Sweaters For Couples
Sphere Magazine, August 1974

When I saw the article below, I was mildly horrified. Does anyone under the age of 80 wish to wear matching sweaters with their partner ? It also reminded me of this scene from Boy Meets World:

Topanga Lawrence: Cory, have you been reading Couples Magazine?
Cory Matthews: I took the quiz on the back. 95!
Topanga Lawrence: Ooh! 


I can't be the only one who looked at Herman & Diana here and thought "Wait, are they a young couple dressing old, or an old couple that still looks young ?" This seems like one of Tyra's challenges from America's Next Top Model ("You'll be modeling Sweaters For Couples in AARP Magazine. Smize with your grandma's eyes, while still looking fierce & young at heart.")
Alexandra in the bottom picture looks ready to bolt back to their weekend house. She has eight pies to bake, after all.

If you're thinking the wives are all to blame, oh does Sphere want to set you straight. Herman, the husband in the first picture, sews almost all his wife Diane's clothes. 

The hobbies & interests of each sweater couple made me crack up: chamber music, eating Greek salads, "special extras" in coffee & listening to Carly Simon songs. You can't make this stuff up. 

I think it's no coincidence that Sweaters For Couples was in the same issue as the two letters I highlighted. That push for more gender neutral or more male focused content = I see you, marketing department, trying to pave the way for a male centered Betty Crocker magazine.

No comments: