Saturday, February 28, 2009

LÄRABAR: Key Lime Pie

"Cool, creamy and tangy. Every bite overflows with tropical flavors, just like a slice of real key lime pie."

"Dates, cashews, almonds, unsweetened coconut, lime juice concentrate."





I purchased a Larabar at Winn-Dixie the other day. I was interested in this product because it was no sugar added, vegan and raw. I really like key limes, too.

I was not impressed by the bar's appearance. Quite frankly, it looked like chewed up food to me. The Larabar had a sticky feel and smelled similar to an apple granola bar. Surprisingly, it was quite delicious. There was a definite lime taste. The crunchiness of the nuts and the soft, chewy texture were a tasty contrast. I didn't notice anything "cool and creamy", though.

Taste aside,I have two issues with the Larabar. The first one is the 20 grams of sugar per serving. That's a bit too much for me. The second problem is this:


"Who knew a treasure of the Keys could be so good for you?"
"Dates, cashews, almonds, unsweetened coconut, lime juice concentrate."

There's a huge difference between between key limes vs regular (Persian) limes that just happen to be from the Keys. When's the last time you saw a key lime that big ? I really dislike when companies mislabel their products that way.

No comments: