Thursday, January 17, 2013

Jolly Rancher Chews: Tropical Flavors



Since this is nostalgia day here at AMW: Raise your hand if you adored Jolly Ranchers as a kid. Remember swapping Jolly Rancher candies with your friends, to ensure everyone got their favorite flavors ? Good times, right ? Jolly Rancher is one of the few hard candies I've truly enjoyed eating, even as an adult.

Naturally I was thrilled to see there's a chewy tropical version of Jolly Ranchers available. The tropical flavors are pineapple (yellow), strawberry kiwi (pink), lemon lime (green) and tropical punch (red). There were thirteen pieces in the box. I would classify the tropical chews as a tastier version of Starburst Fruit Chews.



Lemon lime (green) = Has the same yummy lemony-lime taste as Gatorade Gatorgum. Too bad there's only one lemon lime piece in the whole box. Booo. Side note: Someone bring Gatorgum back, pretty please. 

Strawberry kiwi (pink) = Smells like a strawberry Starburst or Betty Crocker strawberry icing. Tastes like a watermelon scented candle. Yuck! I spit that flavor out immediately.

Pineapple (yellow) = Doesn't have much of a scent. Tastes like cheap pineapple soda. I'm on the fence between "it's okay" and "no more, I'm good."

Tropical punch (red) = Tastes like Hawaiian Punch. I'm not a fan of the drink, but in candy form it's very delicious!

Here are my suggestions for improving Tropical Flavor Jolly Rancher Chews:
- Ditch the strawberry flavor.
- Add more lemon lime pieces
- Tinker with the pineapple flavoring a little more
- Make the chews a little less sticky. I put four pieces onto a plate for a picture; they actually stuck to the plate within one minute of me setting them down. Also, the chews really glom onto your teeth.

No comments: