Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Kellogg's Special K Brownie Bites *Updated*

"These fudgy mini-brownies are soft in texture and rich in flavor. They're made with 100% real cocoa, which makes them 100% delicious!"

"Delicious, bite-sized brownies baked with real milk chocolate and white chocolate chips. Brownie has a moist, chewy and soft texture combined with a delightful vanilla and butterscotch flavor for a great taste and texture combination."

I received an email the other day which mentioned Kellogg's has come out with Special K Blondie Brownie Bites and Special K Fudge Brownie Bites. I was psyched, because (1) prepackaged chocolate brownies that taste good are hard to find (2) butterscotch brownies are even more difficult to procure than chocolate brownies and (3) I have been craving butterscotch. I have been checking grocery stores and drug stores, hoping to find a  couple boxes. Nope, not one box at Walgreen's, Walmart, Publix or Winn Dixie. I've been down the pharmacy aisles, the endcaps, the cookie aisle, the baking mix aisle and the granola and cereal aisle. Still nothing. Kellogg's has a "find a store that carries this" page, but it claims no stores within 15 miles of my house have it. Like a dagger to my heart, I tell you!

So I finally caved and bought one box of Special K Blondie Brownie Bites and one box of Special K Fudge Brownie Bites online. Which means tomorrow I'll find a huge display of them for $2.50 and feel silly. But whatever. As long as I get my brownies I'll be a happy girl. I'll post a review after the boxes arrive.  

_______________
**1/24/2013 Update

The Kellogg's Special K Brownie Bites arrived today.







Blondie Brownie Bites
- Six .74 oz pouches.
- Each pouch is 100 calories.
- Package claims "made with real chocolate"; vanilla extract, semisweet chocolate, molasses and white chocolate are on the ingredient list
- Strong, delicious butterscotch and vanilla cookie dough smell in the box, before even opening the pouches.
- Tastes like half baked cookie. Is too doughy. Not even close to being a brownie
- Vanilla is very heavy. It masks the white chocolate chips, semisweet chips and butterscotch
- Heavy vanilla flavor clings to the mouth too long afterwards







Fudge Brownie Bites
- Six .74 oz pouches.
- Each pouch is 100 calories.
- Package claims "made with real chocolate"; semisweet chocolate and cocoa are on the ingredient list.
- Fudgy smell, similar to Little Debbie Fudge Brownies.
- Closer to a baked brownie texture than the Blondie Brownie Bites.
- Aftertaste similar to that of the original Snackwells Devil's Food Cookies, albeit less strong (I don't care for it in either case).
- Can definitely taste the semisweet chocolate chips. Not high quality chocolate, though





The Fudge Brownie Bites had 11 pieces. The Blondie Brownie Bites had 10 pieces. Both treats are tiny. Kellogg's wasn't kidding about these being "bites."

The fudge pieces seem better a tad bit better than the blondies. But I wouldn't buy either variety again. I'll stick with Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookies and Fiber One 90 Calorie Chocolate Fudge Brownies. The Fiber One snacks are much more decadent and make me feel I'm treating myself to real sweets. The Special K Brownie Bites leave me deprived; they come across as half-as-good substitution, which is no fun for anyone cutting calories.

No comments: