Monday, May 15, 2017

Texas BBQ Payday Bar

In our second post about Hershey's Flavors Of America collection, we have the Payday Peanut Caramel Bar: Flavor Of Texas BBQ. Looking at that barbecue bottle on the wrapper, I thought the candy bar would either be a surprise hit or absolutely disgusting.  If you're wondering what savory ingredients are in BBQ Payday, here they are: "contains 2% or less of: sea salt, tomato powder, brown sugar...molasses, spice, onion powder, garlic powder...citric acid, vinegar...paprika extract."

I like a good challenge. I'll happily order the strangest thing on a restaurant menu, after all. But boy was I grossed out when I took the Payday bar out of the wrapper. As you can see below, it's very...unpleasant to behold. Several gross comparisons come to mind, but let's just stick with "yucky" for now. 

Looks aside, the first bite of the peanut studded bar was not bad. If you ever made peanut butter & bbq chip sandwiches as a child, that's the flavor profile that hit me. The caramel was just the perfect amount of chewiness. I thought "Oh gosh, this is better than I expected. BBQ Payday would be delicious for a hike or a road trip." But then the second wave of flavor kicked in: an ungodly mix of ketchup, candy sweetness & spices. That horrible punch of ketchup & sweets really lingered in my mouth. I couldn't wait to grab some mouthwash. BBQ Payday went from hit to failure pretty quick. This would not be a repeat purchase for me. Thumbs down!

Shelf box at Walmart

The wrapper is actually pretty cool looking. I liked the Texas ranch themed art. 

This Payday bar needs a beauty makeover ASAP!


No comments: