Friday, May 30, 2008

Baked Devil Float [aka Floating Disaster]

I tried making this recipe this afternoon. I'm still not sure what this was supposed to be. The batter tasted like brownie mix, but turned into a goopy mess when I added it to the syrup. Also, I was confused about "bake at 350." Was I supposed to scoop the dollops out and bake them in the oven ? Or just let them cook in the syrup ?

1 cup sugar
2 cups water
2 Tbsp Crisco
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
Salt
1/2 cup nuts [optional]
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla

Boil 1 cup sugar and water. Cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add dry ingredients: alternate with milk. Add nuts. Drop from spoon into boiling syrup. Bake 30 minutes at 350. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Credit: From Williamsburg Kitchens, 1968, Tory Hill Press

No comments: