Friday, May 30, 2008

Virginia Ham Biscuits

2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp shortening
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup ground Virginia Ham

Note: I left out the Virginia Ham. I added 2 oz crumbled garlic feta, 2 oz shredded Colby and 1 egg. Instead of making individual rolls, I oiled and floured a loaf pan; then I made 1/8 cup balls of the dough and pressed them into the pan. I brushed the top with melted butter 5 minutes before the loaf was finished. This bread smelled
amazing : D


Sift flour and baking powder. Mix with salt and ham. Cut in shortening with a knife until all is consistency of meal. Add milk. Handle as little as possible. Pat out with hands or roll on floured board. Cut out. Bake in hot oven till brown.

Credit: From Williamsburg Kitchens, 1968, Tory Hill Press

No comments: