Saturday, January 31, 2009

Monroe's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, Jacksonville, FL

Monroe's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que
4838 Highway Avenue
Jacksonville, Florida 32254
904-389-5551,
Fax: 904-384-3323

I had lunch at Monroe's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que this afternoon. I decided this after reading a review of the restaurant at Tripp Eats Lunch .

Decor

I loved it all. The framed records, cowboy items and the Andy Griffith Show poster made me go "Who got in my head and stole my decorating ideas ?" What, I like that stuff. Don't laugh.

Carolina Pork Platter
Pulled pork with Monroe's Carolina style vinegar sauce


I really liked this sandwich. The meat was had the perfect amount of vinegar.

Beef Brisket
Monroe's signature slow smoked beef brisket, dry rubbed and smoked for 12 hours


This meal included four big slices of brisket and Texas toast. It was fall off the bone tender. Everyone at our table loved it.

Memphis Deluxe

The Memphis Deluxe is a pulled pork sandwich topped with creamy coleslaw. It had a good helping of meat inside. Thumbs up for this sandwich, too.

Sauces

Mustard = Nice and sweet
Monroe's Mustard = Sweet, with a vinegar kick
Spicy Mustard = Tasted like taco seasoning mix + mustard sauce. Yuck.
Monroe's BBQ = Very good. Not too sweet or too smokey.
Sweet BBQ = So-so. Reminded me of sweet and sour sauce mixed with bbq sauce.

Homemade Potato Salad

The potato salad was creamy, but not terribly good. The loads of celery bits did not help the flavor. It was just meh.

French Fries

The fries were thick and sprinkled with Cajun fry seasoning. They were really great dipped in the mustard sauce.

Simmered Southern Style Green Beans

Normally you couldn't pay me to eat green beans. The smell alone makes me gag. But these were well seasoned and delicious! I'll definitely order these on my next trip to Monroe's.

Red Cole Slaw

Too much vinegar, not enough flavor otherwise.

Banana Split Pie

Monroe's has banana pudding on it's online menu. So I was surprised to see banana split pie on the menu board instead. Let me tell you, I am so glad I ordered the pie. It was thick vanilla pudding, banana slices, pineapple, walnuts, a cherry and whipped cream on a graham crust. I'm still riding the high from the yummy sugary goodness. I want this pie for my birthday dinner. Take note, people.

I will definitely go back to Monroe's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que. I was very pleased with the prices, the friendly staff and the quality of the food.

No comments: