Thursday, January 24, 2013

Tutti Frutti at Leopold's: Savannah, GA

Leopold's Ice Cream
212 East Broughton Street
Savannah, Georgia 31401
Phone: (912) 234-4442


For the past couple months, I had been dying to try tutti frutti ice cream. This was due to watching an Ozzie and Harriet rerun about tutti frutti. I checked my cookbooks and all over the internet for either a recipe to try or a store that carries it. I came across many people in a similar pickle, such as Trevis Rothwell; his piece about tutti frutti rang true for me. Plus that helped me narrow down what ingredients tutti frutti is really supposed to contain.

Most of the ice cream shops suggested on other sites were in the North East, which wasn't very helpful to me. Eventually Google lead me to Leopold's Ice Cream in Savannah, Georgia (You'd think I'd notice the commenter on Trevis' page suggesting Leopold's, but I didn't see that until today. Go figure). Leopold's Ice Cream is only 2 minutes from Paula Deen's Lady and Sons restaurant on West Congress Street; so don't worry if you get a little lost.

Leopold's is set up like an old fashioned ice cream parlor. You order ice cream at the front of the store and then go down to this end to pay. All the employees were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Even with the heavy post-Christmas traffic, the employees managed to keep the line running smoothly and quickly.

This ice cream parlour also serve sandwiches, sundaes, limeades and cupcakes. The limeade was delicious. It was sparkling water and hand squeezed limes. The employee making my limeade offered a choice of flat or sparkling water. Next time I plan to order a chicken salad sandwich and a huckleberry sundae. You can find more menu items on Leopold's full menu and their ice cream flavor list 
My picture of tutti frutti didn't come out clear enough. So here's a pic of tutti frutti and some other flavors from the Leopold's website. Leopold's tutti frutti has dried candied fruit (pineapple, red and green cherries), nuts and rum. I don't know if there was banana in the ice cream or if the flavor of the nuts made me imagine that. The ice cream is pink from strawberry coloring, although the ice cream isn't exactly strawberry flavored. It's much better than that. You'll have to taste tutti frutti to see what I mean.  If tutti frutti doesn't appeal to you, the coconut ice cream mixed with coconut flakes is your best bet. 

Side note: There is a small yellow line across the street from Leopold's, right on the corner. Don't park there. You will find a ticket on your car (even though you were only inside Leopold's a few minutes), because that is not part of the two hour parking. Oops.    

No comments: